Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Epiphany ?

I have been doing some deep soul searching and reflection. Wanted to share my epiphany with my anonymous readers.

If I did not get sentenced to federal prison and stayed here at my job and home, I know exactly what my life would be like.

But... When I do finally go to federal prison, my future is unwritten. Who knows who or what I will meet and/or do.

Let's face the brutal reality of my life. I've always been an adrenalin junkie and drawn to dangerous and risky situations... Ever since I was a precocious child, I walked that proverbial line of danger. While walking that line is when I felt the most alive. Some people get their thrill from gambling, doing excessive amount of drugs, binge drinking, et cetera... Not me!

Those vices have never done it for me because I needed more excitement. For example, let's briefly touch on my job. For the last 20+ years I have been working in a career where at any moment my life could have ended or I could have been seriously injured. I do not want to delve into exactly what I did for a career at this junction. But I will tell you that I enjoyed every single minute of my profession and I would not change any of those life experiences for anything.

After the 20+ years in my professional career, I must confess that I felt my life was becoming very stagnant. Ask any of my cohorts, close friends and family.  They will all repeat my mantra verbatim... "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room." After many months of deep soul searching, I have come to the realization that I have fallen victim to my own mantra and have been taking up too much room.

Let's face it... I think Federal Prison is going to be very similar to hanging out in Hell or Purgatory like Dante did for a little while. Dante was able to see all the levels of Purgatory and Hell and came out with a different perspective on life.  Maybe my incarceration will be similar to Dante's trip...Think about being incarcerated with a bunch of guys who are all like minded and experiencing the same shame and humiliation of being thrown into the judicial system and paying by serving time at a Federal Prison...

I not convinced but I am sure there are going to be lots of juicy stories along with extremely interesting people to meet.

Think about it...A ship in a harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.

No comments:

Post a Comment